“Back to Basics,” the theme of the IAB UK’s three-part seminar series, dedicated its April 26th session to the programmatic landscape. By focusing on the fundamentals of an unwieldy digital ecosystem, the one-day seminar lightened the load of burdensome acronyms and arcane jargon.
Tremor Video’s UK MD, Andy Morley, presented The Fundamentals of Programmatic Video to an audience of hungry traders and eager buyers. The nuances of video versus display, advice on nurturing positive programmatic partnerships, and the evolution (and revolution) of the video landscape, were addressed during his standing-room-only session.
Whether you are just dipping your toes into programmatic or elbow-deep in its trenches, the programmatic tenets remain steadfast. Here are our top takeaways from the day:
- Video is different: Don’t treat it the same as display or direct response advertising. The first touch point is about connecting a potential customer with your brand—not making a sale.
- Transparency: Demand to know from your programmatic partnerships how and where your advertising campaigns are being served, from real-time reporting to domain level insights.
- Customer service: Programmatic is about machine-learning and buying, but there is still a need for the human touch. A programmatic partner with whom you can take on anything is critical for success.
- Trust: Viewability, brand safety, and anti-fraud measurements create brand-safe environments, ensuring your ad is seen by your intended audience.
- Devices: Understand the mindset of your customers during micro-moments. User experiences differ between mobile, desktop, and CTV and should be treated so.
Programmatic video is no longer in its infancy, but is still rapidly evolving. It is as important as ever for advertisers to understand how the latest hype impacts programmatic products and services and to remain focused on the core elements needed for an efficient and effective programmatic strategy.
Events like the IAB UK’s Back to Basics series are a great way to cut through the noise. Since we know you can’t be everywhere, be sure to check back in with us for more programmatic event recaps and insights.